Friday, October 3, 2008

My dad's accident


On Wednesday October 1st, 2008, my dad was involved in a very serious car accident. We got a call about 3am from my sister, she dropped off my sisters. We knew very little about it and it wasn't until 6am when we watched the news about the accident, Jordan saw my dad's car on TV and I called my mom to tell her. Jordan found this article online from the Reno Gazette and that' about all we know. My dad broke both of his legs, 8 ribs, had a major cut on his head from one ear to the other, he was scalped, his right orbital is broken, and he bit his tongue almost in half.
He's currently at Renown in the ICU. Our family from Mexico is extremely worried and it's very hard to call them, especially from the hospital since there is very bad reception, so I've created a spanish blog mostly for them. I'll try to keep this blog updated as much as possible.
Tomorrow he's going to have a very complicated surgery on his leg and his eye.
We keep hearing from the doctors that he's very lucky to be alive and it's a miracle that he has no brain damage and all of his vital organs are very bruised but weren't punctured.
We feel very blessed for having amazing friends and a wonderful family who have been helping us out so much. There has been a huge crowd at the hospital these last two days of friends who want to help with whatever we need. My sister and I earlier were talking about how amazing it is to be members of this church. It's hard to imagine what it'd be like to not have the knowledge that we have.
We're praying that tomorrow's surgery goes well. My missionary brothers still don't know about the accident and tomorrow I plan to call their mission presidents to let them know. It's been a very long day but it's definitely better than yesterday. My sisters will see him tomorrow and they're aware of his current condition.
We're very grateful for all of you who have been calling us and have brought food and have helped in so many amazing ways and continue to help.

11 comments:

Devon Anderson said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, especially your dad. Please let us khow if we can do anything for you or your family.
Love ya

Cody and Jen said...

Oh my goodness ruth. I hope everything will turn out and your dad will be fine. WE will be praying for him and for youf family.

Melanee said...

Ruth, you are in our hearts and in our prayers. What a miracle that he even made it through the accident. We will be praying for him, and for the rest of your family. Let us know if there is anything we can do.

sarah said...

We love you all and so does Heavenly Father. He will here all of our prayers and show his love for your family.
~Cedric and Sarah

Marshall said...

We are certainly praying for you Ruth and Jordan. I was so sorry to hear about your accident. If you need me in any way or need me to watch your sweet son, just let me know.

Jamie said...

We are willing to do anything for your family, please let us know what we can do. We are so grateful he is still here and know it could have been worse than it was. He and your family are in our prayers always. We love your Dad very much.

Marielle said...

Ruth we are praying for your dad and that he recovers quickly. I hope you guys are doing okay.

The Woodward Family said...

Ruth, I had no idea this was your father when I heard about the accident and read it in the news paper. I truly hope he is doing well; I haven't heard anything in the past week.

Your family will be in our prayers!

Dove Woodward

Amber said...

I am so sorry to hear the news about your dad. We will pray for his recovery and for your entire family as well. Again...I am so sorry!

Jason and Brianne Kjar said...

I'm sorry to hear about your father I hope you are doing okay and your family. We miss you guys.

Thome Family said...

Hi Ruth and Jordan,
I wish I could read Spanish so I could read your other blog to get an update on your dad, but since I can't, how is he doing?